I love gadgets. We nerds usually do. But a gadget or gizmo that actually makes your writing life easier? Even better.
1. Laser Index Cards: Some people like a stack of blank cards to scribble on, but others like to type them up in Final Draft or Movie Magic Screenwriter 6. I do both - handwrite them when I'm outlining a story and print them out when I'm doing a rewrite and need to jigger the structure. These Laser Index Cards make it easy to keep it all neat and organized.
2. Solid Brass Screenplay Fasteners: When you submit a hard copy of your script, it's essential it looks professional. For that, you need brads placed in the top and bottom holes of your script. Always leave the middle hole empty... don't ask. I have no clue why. It just is. Maybe it's like the secret handshake. Whatever the reason, it's the industry standard. Plus, it saves you a brad.
Bonus tip: I always use brass washers too in order to keep my brads from falling out. You don't want to distract an exec with a script they are constantly fumbling with to keep it together. Washers are our secret weapons.
3. Vintage Typewriter Key Charm Necklace: OK, so this isn't an essential "gadget," but it's cute. When I went out to L.A. for Screenwriters World Conference West, I received one as a gift, and I can't tell you how many compliments I've gotten on it. I love old typewriters. It really is a perfect gift for a writer.
4. Writers Mind CD: As I write this, the item is backordered, that's how popular it is. But I urge you to have The Writers Store alert you when it's back in stock. The CD uses effective brainwave audio technology to guide your brain and encourage creativity. The Story Specialists at The Writers Store have tried it out themselves and swear by it.
How it works: There are several different brainwave states, and your brain consistently cycles through each of these states many times throughout the day and night. By manipulating these states with sonic frequencies, you can tap into your most creative state and stay there. All you’ll hear is the sound of gently falling rain, but your mind will be kicked into creative overdrive!
5. Screenwriting Software: Software to help you outline, format and create story is essential for any writer's success. Now, I have a secret code for you to use to get 20% OFF the highest priced item in your cart!
CODE: J152013 will take 20% off the highest priced item in your cart, including our services!
If you've always wanted to try our Story Specialists,
this is the time to do it!
(all items excluding sale prices)
Jeanne Veillette Bowerman is the Editor and Online Community Manager of Script Magazine and a webinar instructor for The Writers Store. She is Co-Founder and moderator of the weekly Twitter screenwriters’ chat, #Scriptchat, and wrote the narrative adaptation of the Pulitzer Prize-winning book, Slavery by Another Name, with its author, Douglas A. Blackmon, former senior national correspondent of The Wall Street Journal. Jeanne also is President of Implicit Productions and consults with writers on how to build and strengthen their online and offline networks as well as face their fears in order to succeed in writing and in personal peace - a screenwriter's therapist. More information can be found on her blog, ramblings of a recovered insecureaholic. Follow @jeannevb on Twitter.